Not the best news-CarePages

Not the best news

Posted Dec 30, 2011 9:54am

We went to the Neuro Oncologist yesterday and were hoping to get some good news and find out the next steps for my treatment.
We found out that the neurosurgeon only removed 30 to 40 percent of my brain tumor and my neuro oncologist has contacted another neurosurgeon to see of the remaining amount can be operated on….so I may have a 3rd brain surgery. He also told us what type of tumor I have, which was different and not as good as the first type we were told I have. It is still a mixed glioma, only now it is mixed with astrocytomas (which has fingers that get into the good brain tissue).
If I do not get another surgery, I will have to get chemo for 24 months.
Sean and I have decided that the surgery is our best option, only because I will only have to be monitored for the rest of my life, instead of going through chemo and radiation.
The Neuro oncologist also told us when we asked that my life expectancy is 5 to 10 years on a bell curve, so possibly more because I am young and healthy.
We also spent Monday night in the ER after my legs started cramping up during the night. The ER doctor thought they may have been small seizures (which is not good when I want to get my license back and have to go 3 months with no seizure activity!)